Thank you for reading about the Academy and its rich history. To make it more personal to the alumni of each graduating class, I would like to include recollections of your time at the Academy. To facilitate your memory box, I have written a few memory starters to get the ball rolling. So, please take the time and write down a memory or two...or three. Feel free to copy and paste the following to questions below onto a document and then send it to me, Marilyn Kinsella, at Marilyn For those of you without computer access, please send the info to 645 Pleasant Ridge Rd., Fairview Heights, IL 62208. If you'd rather call me and I'll do an interview, just call 618/397-1377. I'd also like to ask you to send me any pictures circa your years at the Academy, any reunion info and pictures, and any Read-a-Wee newspapers. If you can scan them and send them...that would be an extra blessing.
I hope to have pages dedicated to each year. I'm sure each of us feels that our class was special, that our class stood out, and that our class was the most talented, intelligent, witty, likeable (oh-oh, I think I'm mixing that up with our grandkids!) You know what I mean. We are proud of our class and the memories we built at the Academy. So, please share. Don't think you need to answer all the questions...just those that elicit a memory or two. Here's a pic to get your memory juices flowing:
Name ________________________________________(maiden and current)
Graduating class of ________________
Parish (if applicable)_____________________________
- Who was your favorite teacher and why?
- What subject did you excel in?
- What subject did you hate? Why?
- Did you ever enter any One Act Plays, Science Fairs, Debates, Speech contests, basketball tournaments, etc? Tell me about that experience.
- What was your school musical? Did you try out? What do you remember most about taking part in the musicals?
- What after-school activities did you participate in - Student Council, chorus, band, Girl's Athletic Association, Missions, Future Nurses/Homemakers/Teachers, Fighting 69th, Genisian Masque (drama). Tell me how belonging to an after-school changed you or prepared you for who you are today.
- Tell me about Mission Day, Junior/Senior picnic, Father/Daughter Breakfast, Ring day, May Day, Dandelion Queen, Mary ND, Hootenannies, Senior Prom, Assembly Programs etc. Be as specific with memories as you can.
- Where did you eat lunch? What did you have to eat?
- Was there a statue that you always looked at? What was it? Why do you think it was so special?
- Describe the chapel.
- Was there a world event (s) that happened while you were at the school? What was it? How did it impact you at the time and later in life?
- Were you there the day they announced that the Academy was closing? What was said...how did you and your classmates react?
- Describe your uniform and your gym suit.
- Did you ever go into the nuns' quarters?
- What is your best memory at the Academy...your worse or most embarrassing?
- What did you or (ahem...someone else) do that was daring? Did you (or they) get caught? What happened...we want details.
- What did the nuns wear while you were there---describe their habits.
- What was the biggest change that happened while you were at the Academy?
- Did you play any tricks on anyone while at the Academy?
- Do you remember the Retreat Days? Tell me about them.
- Did you sell "World's Finest Chocolate" or other merchandise? What? Tell me any funny stories about it.
- What was the most shocking thing you saw a nun do?
- Did you ever get into trouble wearing something "inappropriate?" Come on...fess up.
- On First Fridays, we were allowed to come to school late to go to church. What did you do with those extra hours?
- How did you get to school? Bus? What do you remember about that? Did a friend take you to school - what memories do you have of that?
- Did you have to endure any non-school "initiation" ceremonies? What were they?
- Do you remember any urban legends (anecdotal stories from a friend of a friend...usually absurd and not true) about the school or that were told during your high school years?
- Do you have a bit of trivia that you would like to add to the trivia page? What is it? Please include your answer!
- What was going on in the world while you were at the Academy - Vatican II? Cardinals win the series? astronauts in space? war? Did any outside news impact the Academy?
Hopefully, these memory boosters gave you time to reflect. Perhaps some other memory popped in your head....please share!
HOME AND HOME PAGE